“Teaching is a profession in which capacity building should occur at every stage of the career – novices working with accomplished colleagues, skillful teachers sharing their craft, and opportunities for teacher leadership.” –Randi Weingarten
A two-day CBSE workshop for the enrichment of Mathematics Teachers was conducted at SAI International School on 11 and 12 September 2018. Forty-six teachers from 26 School of the State attended the enriching programme. The subject experts of CBSE, Mr. R.S. Pandey, Principal K.P.S. Bhilai and Ms. Kakali Bagchi, Mathematics teacher, Haryana Vidhyamandir Kolkata were the Resource persons.
Organised by the Centre of Excellence of CBSE, the Capacity Building programme aimed at enhancing skills of the teachers in areas of conceptual understanding, critical thinking, logical reasoning, arithmetic computation, spatial thinking and creativity.
The main objective of the programme was to:
– equip the participants with the skills and competencies required to effectively transact challenging content areas in mathematics,
– facilitate in effective planning of their lesson,
– sensitize the participants on providing a gender equitable environment,
– familiarize them with the concept of multiple intelligence,
– skilling up their expertise in drafting test items,
– importance of creating an environment of shared learning and
– explore suitable strategies to deal with students’ misconceptions regarding mathematical concepts
The highly interactive workshop also focused on devising innovative ways of teaching mathematics to wipe away a student’s fear towards the subject and make it as interesting as possible. In addition, faculty of SAI briefed the participants on exploring mathematics using GSP Geometric sketchpad to construct interactive mathematical models ranging from basic investigations about shapes and numbers to advanced illustrations of complex numbers.